samedi 8 décembre 2007

Employee talks : "Industry benchmark excuses"

"HR, speaking for management, sends out notes each time cuts in benefits, elimination of retirement plans, job re-classifications and even office cube-size reductions are announced. The notes justify the reductions by basically saying, "After careful analysis of what is going on in the market, it was found that HP was being too generous to its employees and is lowering the benefits to be more in line with market conditions."

Interestingly, while externally we are trying to set the industry agenda, internally it oftentimes feels like we are on a race to the bottom of the pack, using industry benchmarks as excuses.

I know it is self-serving to complain about what I have lost and I know that cutting costs in our business is a fact of life for the rest of our lives. Yet, I wonder how much more can be squeezed out of us before the career becomes just a job — and the job is done just according to spec. If my pay and benefits are set by the industry benchmark, should the quantity and quality of the time I spend on the job also be industry-average ? "

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire